American Bar Association Amicus Brief
- Amicus is the American Bar Association, the largest voluntary association of attorneys and legal professionals in the world.
- The brief builds on a 2019 ABA resolution urging governments not to impose on healthcare providers regulatory requirements that are not medically necessary or that have the purpose or effect of restricting access to healthcare, and explains that the ABA’s central mission of promoting the rule of law has prompted it to file an amicus brief in June Medical.
- The ABA evaluates the Fifth Circuit’s legal and factual analysis and concludes that it departs from Supreme Court’s 2016 precedent Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt, which should directly control this case.
- The brief underscores that stare decisis is central to our legal system and to sustaining respect for the judiciary. It also demonstrates that the Fifth Circuit violated an important structural component of the rule of law by ignoring the trial court’s role as the determiner of facts.
- Crowell & Moring LLP is pro bono counsel.