On March 17, 2021, the Center for Reproductive Rights and co-sponsoring organizations made remarks at the UN Human Rights Council commending the United States for supporting recommendations related to sexual and reproductive rights received in the course of its 3rd Universal Periodic Review, and urging robust implementation of the recommendations.
The Center for Reproductive Rights and co-sponsoring organizations commend the United States for supporting recommendations related to advancing comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and rights. We urge the U.S. to fully implement these recommendations, and to make stronger protections a reality within the U.S. and globally.
The previous U.S. administration systematically undermined access to the full range of reproductive health care — from quality prenatal and pregnancy care to abortion care — exacerbating systemic inequalities and imposing harsh burdens on marginalized communities, including people experiencing intersectional discrimination.
We welcome the revoking of the Mexico City Policy, or Global Gag Rule, and the review of regulations restricting the Title X family planning program.
To fully implement the UPR recommendations related to sexual and reproductive health and rights, we further urge the U.S. to:
- champion legislation and take administrative action to ensure access to comprehensive reproductive health care for all, including abortion care, globally and in the United States
- act to end racial disparities in maternal health care and advance progressive maternal health policy that promotes racial equity
- restore reporting on sexual and reproductive health and rights in the State Department’s annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, and
- support the inclusion and recognition of sexual and reproductive rights as fundamental human rights in U.N. processes
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- Abortion Care Network
- Amnesty International
- Global Justice Center
- If/When/How Lawyering for Reproductive Justice
- International Women’s Health Coalition
- NARAL Pro-Choice America
- National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF)
- National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Press contact: firstname.lastname@example.org