Join the Center for Reproductive Rights this January for a virtual panel discussion with global experts on the impact of litigation in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) worldwide.
The event – which is free and open to the public – will take place on Wednesday, January 26 at 9:00 am EST/3:00 pm CET.
Titled “Using Litigation to Accelerate the Protection of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Across the Globe,” the webinar will be moderated by Enid Muthoni, the Center’s Senior Vice President, Global Legal Program. A simultaneous Spanish translation will also be offered.
Although SRHR are essential to gender equality, millions of women and girls still lack legal protections for these fundamental rights. Strategic litigation before international and regional bodies has proven to be a powerful tool for creating accountability for SRHR violations and generating progress at the national-level.
In a new report, the Center studied landmark cases and how they’ve transformed the legal landscape on SRHR, reverberating across borders and strengthening legal guarantees for millions of people around the world. The report, titled “Across Borders: How International and Regional Reproductive Rights Cases Influence Jurisprudence Worldwide,” will be launched at the webinar.
Panelists from the Center and leading organizations will discuss how the cases at the heart of the study – some in countries and regions with the most restrictive reproductive rights laws in the world – have advanced access to abortion services, maternal health care, assisted reproduction and other reproductive and human rights. In addition, they will share insights on the future role of litigation to advance SRHR and how advocates and other stakeholders can leverage this critical tool to accelerate progress.
- Enid Muthoni, Senior Vice President, Global Legal Program, Center for Reproductive Rights
- Bandana Rana, Member of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
- Alejandra Cárdenas, Director of Global Legal Strategies, Center for Reproductive Rights
- Moses Mulumba, Afya na Haki (Ahaki), Director General
- Susana Chávez, Executive Director, Centro de Promoción y Defensa de los Derechos Sexuales y Reproductivos (Promsex)
- Ona Flores, Civil Freedom Research Advisor, ICNL (International Center for Not-for-profit Law)
- “Using Litigation to Accelerate the Protection of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Across the Globe”
- Wednesday, January 26, 2022 @ 9-10:30 am NYC/9-10:30 am Lima/15:00-16:30 Geneva/17:00-18:30 Kampala/19:45-21:15 Kathmandu