January 22 would have marked the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling that recognized abortion as a constitutionally protected right. That decision stood for 49 years—impacting generations of women and giving millions of people greater autonomy over their reproductive rights—until the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the ruling last June.
“Reproductive Rights on the 50th Anniversary of Roe,” an online conversation hosted by The 19th, will feature a number of reproductive rights experts as they discuss the legal, historical and cultural impact of Roe and what the future holds without it.
The Center’s Senior Staff Attorney Hillary Schneller will speak on the “What’s Next in the Courts” panel starting at 1:55 p.m. EST.
The event is free and open to the public; pre-registration is required.
- Title: Reproductive Rights on the 50th Anniversary of Roe
- Date: Thursday, January 26, 2023
- Time: 1 p.m. EST
- Hosted by: The 19th
Welcome (1 p.m. EST/12 p.m. CST)
- Amanda Zamora, Co-founder and Publisher, The 19th
What Roe Means to My Generation (1:05 p.m. EST/12:05 p.m. CST)
- Eleanor Smeal, President and Co-Founder, Feminist Majority Foundation
- Rebecca Walker, Author, To be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing the Face of Feminism
- Jurnee Smollett, Actor and Activist
- Olivia Julianna, Director of Politics and Governmental Affairs, Gen Z For Change
- Moderator: Karen Hawkins, Story Editor, The 19th
What’s Next in the Courts (1:55 p.m. EST/12:55 p.m. CST)
- Dahlia Lithwick, Author, Lady Justice
- Hillary Schneller, co-lead counsel in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization
- Rhiannon Hamam, Co-host, 5-4 Podcast
- Moderator: Shefali Luthra, Health Reporter, The 19th
One-On-One With Vanita Gupta (2:35 p.m. EST/1:35 p.m. CST)
- Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta, Chair, DOJ’s Reproductive Rights Task Force
- Moderator: Errin Haines, Editor-at-Large, The 19th
Abortion in the States (3 p.m. EST/2 p.m. CST)
- Mia McLeod, South Carolina State Senator
- Elizabeth Nash, Principal Policy Associate, Guttmacher Institute
- Moderator: Jennifer Gerson, Reporter, The 19th
(Webinar link to be provided upon registration.)