In a bid to protect abortion access in Texas, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced that the Justice Department would sue the state over S.B. 8. The law bans abortion at six weeks of pregnancy and calls on private citizens to enforce the rule. Center President and CEO Nancy Northup called the announcement “a gamechanger” in the battle to protect women’s access to abortion in Texas. The Center is also suing Texas over its abortion ban.
- AP News: Justice Dept. sues Texas over state’s new abortion law
- CNN: Justice Department sues Texas over six-week abortion ban
- CNN: Justice Department sues Texas over six-week abortion ban (video interview with Nancy Northup)
- The Texas Tribune: U.S. Justice Department sues Texas over new abortion law that Attorney General Merrick Garland calls unconstitutional
- Common Dreams: ‘Game-Changer’: Biden DOJ Applauded for Suing Texas Over New Abortion Ban
- Voice of America: Unique Texas Abortion Law Creates Legal Confusion
Read more about the Texas case here: Whole Woman’s Health v. Jackson.