Friday, June 7, 2019
Job Title: Senior Legal Adviser for Latin-America & the Caribbean (LAC)
Department: Global Legal Program
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogotá, Geneva, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 200 diverse professionals.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org
The Center seeks a Senior Legal Adviser for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) who will work closely with the Legal Adviser for LAC, the Legal Fellow for LAC and the entire regional LAC team, to support and build the work of the LAC Regional Program. S/he will report to the Regional Manager for LAC.
The position will be based in Bogotá, Colombia.
The primary job responsibilities for the Senior Legal Adviser for LAC include, but are not limited to:
- Lead program strategies on litigation, including, identifying potential strategic cases at the national, regional, and international levels in collaboration with partner organizations, researching and writing pleadings, legal memoranda, amicus curiae, submissions to regional human rights bodies, UN submissions, and case briefs on comparative and international human rights law, and identifying claims for use in national, regional, and/or international fora.
- Monitor compliance with international obligations relating to reproductive rights and jurisprudential developments.
- Provide technical assistance to non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other stakeholders in connection with law reform processes at the national level and produce relevant materials.
- Work closely with the Senior Advocacy Adviser to implement advocacy strategies.
- Contribute to the development of advocacy materials and other Center publications.
- Support the development and implementation of a capacity-building strategy on initiatives to advance reproductive rights in the region.
- Undertake fact-finding missions to document and expose human rights violations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and regional NGOs and key stakeholders.
- Cultivate pro bono partnerships and develop projects with law firms, law associations, and law schools in the region to leverage the Center’s work.
- Represent the Center externally on matters related to reproductive rights in the region through public speaking and interaction with the media.
- Assist the Regional Manager for LAC with the supervision of interns, volunteers, and pro bono lawyers.
- Support other program, management, and operational activities as necessary.
- International travel is required.
- Strong commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values.
- Knowledge of international human rights, women’s rights and Inter-American human rights system.
- 8 years of experience litigating before/ or working in the Inter-American human rights system, and/or 10 years of experience litigating human rights cases before High National Level Courts is required. Any litigation experience before global human rights bodies is a plus.
- Capability of analyzing complex, legal work and thinking creatively and strategically.
- Advocacy experience, including as part of NGO coalitions.
- Native fluency in Spanish and strong working knowledge of English are required.
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and oral advocacy skills. (Spanish and English)
- Very detail-oriented, with strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively, to multi-task, and to work under pressure.
- Degree in law.
- Master’s or postgraduate degree is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of related professional experience.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, résumé, two legal writing samples – one in English and one in Spanish – and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.