Friday, May 3, 2019
Job Title: Program Associate, U.S. Programs, Judicial Strategy
Department: U.S. Programs
Sub-Department: Judicial Strategy
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. The Center’s mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Nairobi, and Washington, DC; and a staff of approximately 200 diverse professionals.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
About Judicial Strategy: The Judicial Strategy team works to influence the development of reproductive rights jurisprudence. It complements and enhances our domestic litigation and advocacy by advancing new legal and evidence-based arguments to strengthen judicial doctrine protecting reproductive rights; leading strategic amicus campaigns; collaborating with researchers; and engaging legal and social justice allies, and powerful influencers to build a constitutional narrative focused on what is at stake for reproductive rights and health.
The Role: The Program Associate will report to, and work with, the Director of Judicial Strategy to ensure smooth and effective operations of the Judicial Strategy team, particularly with respect to work planning, team management, cross-department collaboration, and outreach to external partners. The Program Associate will be responsible for project-managing and administrating internal and external meetings and events, and serving as a liaison to other Center departments and external partners to advance programmatic goals. Additionally, the Program Associate will provide general support to all Judicial Strategy team members, including responsibility for administrative tasks and conducting legal and factual research as needed.
- In consultation with the Director, oversee drafting the department budget; managing department financials and spending; assisting in annual work plan development; tracking quarterly and annual work milestones; and drafting and managing the completion of programmatic reporting;
- Support the Director in day-to-day activities, including high quality administrative support for calendar management and travel arrangements, preparation for meetings with funders and external partners, and proactively identifying and ensuring timely execution of follow-up activities;
- Coordinate scheduling and agenda for internal Judicial Strategy meetings. Responsibilities include managing communication and coordination with participants; developing meeting agendas; scheduling; taking meeting notes; maintaining records; and monitoring action items and following-up;
- Work with the Judicial Strategy team and other Center departments to plan meetings and convenings attended by external stakeholders and ensure their smooth logistical execution. Responsibilities include internal and external outreach and communication management; project-managing content development; scheduling; taking meeting notes; maintaining records; monitoring action items and following-up; and overseeing day-of logistics;
- Serve as liaison between Judicial Strategy and other departments;
- Provide general office and administrative support to the Judicial Strategy team as needed, including management of travel arrangements and receipts, expense reports, developing and maintaining files and shared document sites for team work;
- Conduct basic legal and factual research through Westlaw, or other online sources, and compile background information as needed; and
- Assist in the content development of legal and other documents, including providing clear synthesis and summarization of information for presentations, correspondence, and other work products for the Director and Judicial Strategy team as needed.
- Commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values;
- Bachelor’s degree required; 1-year work experience in fast-paced office setting;
- Highly organized, with a strong work ethic and attentive to detail;
- Excellent presentation, writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong analytical, reasoning, and communication skills;
- Experienced in project management and able to prioritize, multi-task, and handle multiple projects in fast-paced situations and in a flexible and professional manner;
- Excellent computer skills including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint; with the ability and curiosity to adapt to new technologies;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information;
- Solutions-oriented approach;
- Dependability, diplomacy, collaborative, professional and friendly demeanor; and
- Desire to work in a multicultural, diverse, and highly performance-driven environment.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter and resume must be included in your application. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.