Monday, July 1, 2019
Job Title: Major Gifts Officer (Eastern Region)
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. The Center’s mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Nairobi, and Washington, DC; and a staff of approximately 200 diverse professionals.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Role: The Center is seeking an experienced professional to serve as a member of our frontline fundraising team and help build out our New York metropolitan area base of support and to serve as the primary fundraiser dedicated to developing donor relationships in the Southeastern US. The Major Gift Officer will be responsible for developing and maintaining a robust pipeline and implementing strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, engage, solicit and steward a portfolio of 150+ major donors and prospects. They will work closely with the Major Gifts team to help manage and strengthen donor relations, evaluate various gift opportunities, and coordinate and facilitate communications to ensure a cohesive donor cultivation and stewardship effort.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of 150+ donors and prospects in the New York metropolitan area and Southeastern U.S. capable of making gifts of $10,000 or more, with a goal of securing a significant number of new gifts and gift upgrades through a creative and proactive approach to personal cultivation and solicitation;
- Collaborate with the Major Gifts team on developing strategies to expand the major donor pipeline and upgrade mid-level ($5,000-$9,999) donors, achieving aggressive targets for an increase in number of donors and overall donor engagement in the New York metropolitan area;
- Implement high quality operational practices and systems to effectively manage her/his donor portfolio;
- Collaborate with the Development team on the successful planning and execution of the Center’s annual NYC gala and other special events and providing input and support for the recruitment and management of volunteer leadership for the event;
- Contribute to the development of strategy, briefing, and debriefing materials for face-to-face donor meetings and other donor communications;
- Build relationships with the Center’s legal program staff, communications staff, and others to acquire the information needed to solicit gifts and build donor relationships effectively;
- Work as part of the development team to develop and execute strategies to achieve annual departmental goals as well as the goals of the Center’s five-year strategic plan and fundraising campaign; and
- Assist in team goal setting.
- Bachelor's degree required;
- 4+ years of professional experience with at least 2 years as a frontline fundraiser;
- Coordinated salons/house parties, actively built a host or leadership committee and worked with board members and high-level volunteers;
- Available to travel up to 25% of the year;
- Commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values;
- A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors in a very fast-paced, mission-driven environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, build strong relationships, and develop and manage a robust pipeline for a major gifts program;
- Sophisticated fundraiser with a deep knowledge of major gifts and philanthropic trends in individual giving, with knowledge of the New York metropolitan area philanthropic community a plus;
- A team player with interpersonal savvy who understands how to collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders and work across team lines;
- Ability to effectively communicate the mission, goals, and needs of an organization in a compelling way and to tailor communications to different audiences and donor needs.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills and demonstrated ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately, and concisely;
- Strong organizational and project management skills and proven ability to thrive in a fast fast-paced, professionally rigorous setting, managing multiple assignments and quickly evolving priorities;
- Experience in reproductive rights a plus or familiarity with other issues relating to women’s equality, human rights, civil rights, or racial and social justice issues is highly desirable;
- Principled, ethical, professional, and committed to exceptional work quality and standards; and
- English language fluency required; additional languages, especially Spanish, a plus.
Critical Position Behaviors:
- Collaborative: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups. A willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Innovative: Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive, with a focus on excellence in a high energy, fast moving, deadline-oriented environment
- Initiative: Effectively responds to pressure or crisis situations and acts professionally. Uses resources well. Follows through on ideas, assignments and open issues. Must possess a "can-do" and "will-do" attitude.
- Commitment to learning: Applies a growth mentality to their own development and pushes self and others to work out of comfort zone. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center's high standards and mission.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members.
- Adaptive/flexible: Has a can do/will do attitude and demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk-taking.
- Empathy: An empathetic, approachable team player who engenders trust and confidence, with an inherent ability to interact positively with all members of the Center staff.
- Independent Worker/Thinker: Must have the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Confident: Must possess and exhibit a level of confidence in themselves and his/her work but be able to take direction and criticism professionally.
- Results Oriented: Ability to achieve results and complete assignments in a timely manner.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter and resume must be included in your application. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.