Friday, June 21, 2019
Job Title: Administrative Assistant to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMCO)
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. The Center’s mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Nairobi, and Washington, DC; and a staff of approximately 200 diverse professionals.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Role: The Communications Assistant to the CMCO will provide administrative and communications support to the CMCO as well as serve as a key contact to the Executive Team support staff, external partners, clients, Center departments, and others on her behalf.
- Provide high-level strategic, logistical, and research support to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer including scheduling and calendar maintenance; travel arrangements; meeting and conference call coordination; research projects; expense report preparation; telephone coverage; copying, faxing, and filing;
- Manage information flow in a timely, effective, and professional manner;
- Maintain an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents;
- Assist with internal and external presentations;
- Prepare meeting materials;
- Field calls and e-mails from the public, vendors, and other stakeholders who contact the CMCO;
- Attend all communications team meetings and some interdepartmental meetings as assigned; assigned to take detailed notes on behalf of CMCO;
- Draft, edit, and proofread presentations, memos, and correspondence;
- Assist with managing the department’s budget, including estimates, re-projections, and updates;
- Serve as positive core member of Communications team, who works well with other assistants and colleagues throughout the organization;
- Manage special projects as assigned; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- One to two years of experience in a similar role. Experience working in communications/media relations and budgeting/planning is highly valued;
- Excellent writing, research, and proofreading skills;
- Outstanding organizational, administrative, and budget management skills, and proven ability effectively juggle and track multiple projects, responsibilities, and deadlines effectively and follow-through;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with capacity to receive and accept constructive feedback, take initiative and be pro-active, and demonstrate solid problem-solving skills;
- Professional demeanor and diplomacy, and strict sense of discretion;
- Excellent attention to detail, deadlines, and commitments;
- Ability to remain calm and productive under pressure and changing priorities;
- Sound judgment;
- Strong MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint skills; and
- Strong commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values.
Critical Position Behaviors:
- Initiative: Effectively responds to pressure or crisis situations and acts professionally. Uses resources well. Follows through on ideas, assignments and open issues. Must possess a “can-do” and “will-do” attitude.
- Flexibility/Adaptability: Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations and with various individuals and groups. Understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change. “Out of the box” thinking is a plus.
- Energy Level: High energy level and enthusiasm for the position.
- Independent Worker/Thinker: Must have the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Confident: Must possess and exhibit a level of confidence in themselves and their work, but be able to take direction and criticism professionally.
- Results Oriented: Ability to achieve results and complete assignments in a timely manner.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter and resume must be included in your application. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.