Virtual Panel to Discuss Reproductive Rights of Romani Women and Girls
Register today for the September 28 session, part of EU Romani Week.
“Reproductive Rights of Romani Women and Girls,” a virtual panel discussion featuring leading Romani women activists, will be held on Tuesday, September 28, with registration open to the public.
The event is part of 2021 EU Romani Week, which aims to provide recommendations to EU and national policymakers to effectively address antigypsyism and structural discrimination that Romani people face across Europe. The Center for Reproductive Rights is a partner of 2021 EU Romani Week.
Across Europe, Romani women and girls face some of the most blatant human and reproductive rights violations and institutional racial, ethnic, and class discrimination, including in reproductive health care settings.
“Reproductive Rights of Romani Women and Girls” will shed light on these grave concerns. In addition, the panelists will explore the concrete actions the EU and national policymakers can take to effectively address, remedy, and prevent these human rights violations from happening in the first place.
The panel discussion is organized by ARDI, E-Romnja, and the Center for Reproductive Rights. Three members of the European Parliament, Pierrette Herzberger-Fofana (Greens/EFA), Evin Incir (S&D), and Terry Reintke (Greens/EFA), are hosting the event.
Panel speakers include:
- Terry Reintke, Member of the European Parliament
- Elena Gorolová, Czech Republic
- Salija Bekir-Halim, Roma Women’s Rights Initiative, North Macedonia
- Carmen Gheorghe, E-Romnja, Romania
- Carmen Fernández, Asociación Gitanas Feministas por la Diversidad, Spain
- Adriana Lamačková, Center for Reproductive Rights, Switzerland
- Jelena Jovanović, European Parliament Anti-Racism and Diversity Intergroup (ARDI)
- Panel: “Reproductive Rights of Romani Women and Girls”
- Date/time: Tuesday, September 28 @ 9:00-10:30 am Central European Time
(Registration deadline is September 25. On the registration form, select the panel, “Reproductive Rights of Romani Women and Girls.”)
You can also watch a live stream of the event on Facebook Live.
More information on EU Romani Week can be found here.
- Inequality and Discrimination in Maternal Health in Europe, a Center report about advancing reproductive rights of Roma and other women in Europe.