The Center for Reproductive Rights engages with European multilateral bodies and policy makers to advance respect and protection for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
We work to ensure that European Union institutions address shortcomings and deficits with regard to SRHR across the EU, as well as in countries around the world. We advocate for the adoption of EU policies and legislation that will advance gender equality and SRHR and for robust EU action to address key SRHR challenges in other regions. Through our engagement we have called on the EU to address SRHR challenges as part of its efforts to advance gender equality and to ensure that survivors of gender-based violence have effective access to essential sexual and reproductive health services.
Our work also includes engagement with Council of Europe human rights mechanisms to raise awareness of SRHR concerns and to influence action. In 2017 we collaborated with the Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe on the publication of an Issue Paper on Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in Europe, which analyzes key remaining barriers and challenges as well as states’ human rights obligations to guarantee SRHR across Europe. We also engage in advocacy with the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe.
In our advocacy we also seek action by European governments to implement European Court of Human Rights judgments on sexual and reproductive rights. The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe monitors states’ compliance with key judgments and makes recommendations where implementation is lacking. For example, the Committee of Ministers has condemned Poland’s ongoing failures to take effective measures to comply with three landmark judgments in the cases of R.R. v. Poland, P and S v. Poland and Tysiac v. Poland concerning access to legal abortion and related information and services.
- Supplemental Information for the Committee of Ministers on RR v. Poland, P and S v. Poland and Tysiac v. Poland
- Organizations Join Council of Europe’s Urgent Call for Poland to Ensure Access to Lawful Abortion Care and Services
- Submission regarding the EU external action Gender Action Plan (GAP) 2021-2025
- Submission regarding the EU strategy on victims’ rights 2020-2024
- Submission regarding the EU post-2020 Roma equality and inclusion policy
- Submission regarding the EU Gender Equality Strategy 2020-2025
- Council of Europe Issue Paper on Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in Europe